Friday, May 30, 2014

The importance of joining a club at school.

When you are in college you probably had the mentality that you were just going to focus on your classes and have no time at all to join an organization. You didn't want your grades to suffer, you had to many things on your plate, and etc. Here is the problem when people say those things to themselves, or to others, it means that you don't want to CHALLENGE YOURSELF!!

Challenging yourself is not necessarily a bad thing. It shows that you can multi-task in different areas and still be highly successful in other areas. I for one, was a person that turned my back on clubs, until I found Her Campus. Her Campus is an international online women's magazine in which just about every college throughout the United States has their own chapter.

 In my second year at Kean University in my Spring semester I joined the Her Campus Kean chapter and man am I happy I did. I learned the entire process of how the magazine business works when it came to writing your own magazine work, having deadlines, and etc. I even got moved up from being a regular member to the president of the organization for the Spring 2014 semester.

Being president was a ton of work! I not only had to write my own articles, but I had to edit each of my member's work, plan out meetings, fill out forms for events, create the events and decorate for them, collaborate with other organizations, and the list goes on and on. It was a lot of responsibility, but it was well worthed.

Based on my wonderful experience being in a club while in college, I want to provide you with a rule that I want you to write down and keep in mind for the future. RULE: DON'T LET ANYTHING (INCLUDING YOUR OWN INSECURITY) hOLD YOU BACK IN SOMETHING THAT WILL BE BENEFICIAL TO YOUR LIFE!

In my next article, I will explain the top ten tips that will you help you be a great leader!

No comments:

Post a Comment